Tuesday, February 19, 2008

yo soy un secretario en una oficina pero me gustaría ser ama de casa!

i have been working on my spanish all morning. i found an online program through the jefferson county library that is moving me right along. it all in spanish, which is a challenge at times...but it's been really helpful so far, i think. i miss being in guatemala a little bit. one day, we'd like to go back. there's something much easier about learning a language in a place that actually speaks that language all the time. you are, in a sense, forced to learn-and quick! :) and learn we did! but unfortunately, i have not kept up with it sense then. and just a few weeks ago, i was trying to introduce myself and chat a bit with one of a children's moms at king, and do you know i was fumbling all over the place? i couldn't recall the words i needed to make basic conversation... just terribly out of practice. so, anyway, among the list of things i want to do this month, this year, is to become more fluent in spanish. it makes me so sad that i can't really communicate with the parents at king...and, now days, at least half of the children that are coming out are younger than 5. so, guess what-they don't speak english either (since they aren't in school yet). smiling and loving on them only goes so far... i want to be able to talk with them and understand them as they rattle on about the picture they are drawing, or their new toy. so, all that to say, i'm working on my spanish, slowly but surely!

2 comments:

Ashley Davis said...

what program is it? did you get online or at the library? just curious! i'd like to work on my Russian.

Joel said...

I'm curious, too... I want to dig into Thai and the resources are very few and far between where we live.