Thursday, February 7, 2008

escaping into another place

Oh my goodness-I didn't write yesterday because I was engrossed in a wonderful book. I just didn't want to take time away from reading it to write. :) My mom and I always say that you know you are reading a good book when you find yourself praying for the characters. The book I just finished was one of those good books! I actually have read it more than once before, but I still got so into it all the same. I laughed with Ryan as we went to lunch today because I finally put down the book this morning because I knew I was near the end of it. And I didn't want to get to the end of it, because, well, then it would be over. And I would lose all these people that had become so dear to me in the past 2 days of reading. How silly is that? But, really, I LOVE a good book like that-something that, in a way, gets you totally involved. Almost like you know the characters personally or something. It's amazing that writing can do that... I want to be able to write like that. It's one of my goals in life. I really want to write a book, one day. The only trouble is, I don't have any good ideas just yet! :) But, one day.... keep your eyes out for that in about 20 years or so!!

So, the name of the book I've been reading is The Scarlet Thread by Francine Rivers (no doubt one of my favorite fiction writers of all times!). No, the book has no relation to that book you read in high school, The Scarlet Letter.. anyway, it's a wonderfully redemptive book, just like everything else I've read by Rivers. My very favorite by her is called Redeming Love, though. If you haven't read that book, you need to stop doing whatever you are doing right now and go to the local library or book store and borrow/buy this book. I'd say go ahead and buy it-totally worth the $15. It's one of those books you will read again and again. Be prepared to sob a little, though.

Honestly, I think that's one of the great things about a good piece of fiction writing. It allows you to express emotions that you might have been holding in for a while...even ones you didn't know you had. It also helps put your own life in perspective sometimes, which I think is a good thing. Plus it's just enjoyable. As embarassing as it is to admit, I absolutely love a good Christian romance. Sure it may be a little cheesy, but sometimes it's good for the heart for me! :)

4 comments:

Ashley Davis said...

i loved the scarlet thread! i read it on the way flight back from russia.

i recently loaned deena my copy of redeeming love, she's loving it!

i highly recommend "and the shofar blew." i cried all teh way through it!

steve, kate, annelise and joseph said...

If you love Christian "love" stories...I would highly suggest reading the series entitled "Abram's Daughters" by Beverly Lewis...there are five books, but you will not regret taking the time to read them all.
I personally have not read the scarlet thread or redeeming love...maybe I should :)
anyway, hope you have a great weekend!

MrsBarrett said...

Hey there, this is Ryan's cousin Laura. And I totally cry in books all the time. The Nicholas Sparks books almost always make me cry. We'll have to compare books next time I come to Birmingham!

jess said...

I just finished reading redeeming love for the fourth time. Every time I read it I fall more in love with the Lord and since I've been with James it makes me fall more in love with him too. I'm already ready to read it again!