Tuesday, April 21, 2009

thank goodness!

i forgot to mention in my previous post that i got my staples out yesterday! i was nervous about going to get this done, as i have never had staples anywhere in my body-and, well, the prospect of having someone take them out of me was a bit terrifying. i just kept imagining those little staple pullers that you use at work and how they always rip the paper regardless of how careful you are when you are using them....and imagine that happening to my tummy. not a pleasant thought. i just kept telling myself, "i made it through birthing a baby...i can do this!" even so, i was terrified. i was also nervous about leaving noah with ryan in the waiting room-scared he'd wake up hungry and not be consolable...that's the only drawback about breastfeeding-kinda of leaves daddy in a pinch when i'm not around! anyway, we made it to the doctor fine, albeit a few minutes late (getting a newborn ready takes a little extra time) and way too soon, they called me to the back. the nurse had a handful of tools as she laid me back and prepared my stomach for the removal. i guess i must have looked a bit pale because she kept asking if i was okay. after cleaning me and chatting for a bit about the baby, she apologized for what she was about to do. that's never a good sign, huh? but, as she pulled out her pliars and began to pluck, i was amazed at how little sensation i was feeling. it just felt like a little tug-nothing too terrible. as she finished up, i was tempted to ask her if i could take the staples with me-you know, like a little suvenior..but i lost the courage in the end. after she taped me up-like those thin strips of tape are really going to hold me together-she began to recite all the things i needed to be careful about doing/not doing. at the top of her list, "no sweeping, vacuuming, or mopping for you." thank the Lord! i was so glad to hear that news...because, a week and a half after having my newborn wrestled from my tummy, i have really had a hankering for mopping our house!

2 comments:

Christina Kris said...

just remember the whole it takes longer with a infant....i give myself a extra 30 mins now just to make sure we have everything. It was so bad the first few weeks b/c i never had enough time and then felt so rushed to get everywhere. love you guys!!!

Jodi said...

Be thankful for those little tabbies (called steri-strips). I didn't have them and that's why my incision came open - when Samuel was 5 days old! I wonder if people like me are the reason they started using them. It's amazing what a little back-up strength can offer to that skin!