Wednesday, April 8, 2009

39 weeks

we went for our check-up yesterday and i was really hoping to be admitted-sure that i was nearing the time for noah's birth. i got especially excited when my nurse told me that my doc was down in delivery, thinking surely this was a sign that yesterday was the day! while we were waiting for her to come back up, we did another scan and were told that noah's looking to be a little over 9 lbs right now...only an estimate, which can be off by as much as a pound in either direction. that's all well and good if they are overestimating, but if they are underestimating-yikes! during the ultrasound, the tech tried to get a good picture of noah's sweet face, but unfortunately his cheeks were taking up all the room! he's nice and plump, it seems..and "finished cooking" as our doctor put it. after discussing our options for quite a while, we decided to give him one more week to come on his own...if he does, we will see how it goes. the doctor was skeptical, at best, about me being able to push him out at his size (those chubby cheeks are attached to a pretty big head, you know), but she said we could try if i go into labor on my own. otherwise, we will have a c-section next week...it was a tough decision, but we are going with the opinion of our doctor-that's what we pay the big bucks for, right? so, we have a week to get used to the idea, so long as he doesn't come first (which would be a-okay with us). anyone out there with good c-section stories, i'd be glad to hear from you... :)

8 comments:

Jamie said...

Mantha...I had a C with the twins. I do not know what the other feels like, but I would say the C is a perfect option. There are pros and cons, but I would rather be cut above the "mason dixon" than below if you know what I mean. It is going to be Perfectly God either way...so don't worry, enjoy these last few days, because you cannot get them back. Love you and wish you the best! jamie

Anonymous said...

I like the way Jamie worded this - Perfectly God either way. Jamie is right - God is in control. He has you in his hands.

Jaclyn & Zack said...

My opinion...C-section is a great way to go - especially because you know that your boy is on the bigger side. It was great - They monitored me for about an hour - I had the epidural and less than an hour later was wheeled into the operating room and 4 minutes later we had a beautiful baby boy :) of course there is a little bit more recovery time to deal with BUT I felt like myself within a week. I'm very excited for you! You must be thrilled, good luck!

Rachel Ratliff said...

After I got over having a c-section, I realized it is so much better to have a cut on my stomach rather than a cut or tear on my woman parts! AND you can walk straight the next day. One of my teachers is going through the same thing right now. Her husband is well over 6 feet and she's probably 5 foot 2. She still has 5 weeks to go, and her baby is already over 7 pounds. She's a nurse practitioner, and she's supporting having a c-section at this point! Good luck with either way it goes :)

steve, kate, annelise and joseph said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
steve, kate, annelise and joseph said...

Now, obviously I have never had a c-section since I do not have any children ~yet :)...but my sister has three beautiful girls...and the first was delivered via c-section due to my niece being breech (sp?). My sis survived with only a scar and actually went on to deliver two healthy babies naturally three and six years later.
Sure like Jaclyn said the recovery is a bit different but totally worth it in the end, because no matter what you will have your little guy in your arms...and that is the best part, right? :)
We will be praying for you and Ryan as you prepare for whatever may come in the next week or so!

~katy h.

Jodi said...

If you're having a scheduled delivery, either induction or c-section, you will have to be there way before the MD's office opens - I think it's like 5 or 5:30 AM. They will let you know if they're going to take him!

Jamie and Joy George said...

Sam - I was talking to a lady yesterday who had had both, a C-section and a natural delivery. She said she actually recovered faster from the C-section than the natural. ?? Either way (like everyone else has said) - God will give you strength.
It will be exciting to hear the news of Noah's arrival. :) We can't wait.
--JOY