Wednesday, March 11, 2009

35 weeks

Well, every day, we are getting closer and closer to the big day! I went in for my check-up yesterday and all is still well. I told my doctor that I had been having some pressure-type feelings in my lower abdomen, but feelings that didn't seem to be contractions (because my stomach doesn't get tight)...after checking things out, she said, "Well that doesn't surprise me since you are 1 cm dilated and his head is right down there pressing on you!" Well, there you go.. I was surprised to hear that things are already on there way, but not too freaked out because she said it's not a fast process from here. Which, really, is a good thing since he needs a few more weeks in the oven to for his little lungs to develop fully. All the same, it was comforting to know that my body is preparing for labor even now (because there was always this little fear in the back of my mind "What if I never go into labor?! What if Noah decides to stay in me forever?)!

On top of getting things checked out by my doctor, I got a Group B Strep test-lemme tell ya, fun stuff ladies....and an ultrasound-which actually is fun stuff. I did not know that an ultrasound was in the plans when I went in, but was thrilled when they sent me that way. The tech did some measuring of Noah and, not suprisingly, we learned that he is already around 6 lbs 12 oz! (Of course, that is an estimate and could be off a pound or so either way, they say) He is in the 87 percentile for size, so we are proud to say that Noah is already ahead of his peers! We just knew he'd be a smart one! ;) Anyway, it is a little scary to know that he's only going to get bigger from here...especially if the bigger starts to be 9 lbs or more. That's a big baby, I'm just saying. I mean, a friend of my mom's recently had a baby-carried her just about 40 weeks and she weighed 6 1/2 lbs at birth! So...yeah... our little over-achiever! ;) So, all in all, we are hoping that I will go into labor before he gets too big, but not before! Which, speaking of, I am pretty sure I had a couple of contractions yesterday afternoon...not a pleasant feeling, which is a bummer because they (the books) say that pre-labor contractions (aka Braxton Hicks) are not painful, but this was not the case for me. :/ Oh well, back to what I said before, it is good to know my body is getting itself ready for labor...

1 comments:

Rachel Ratliff said...

Yes, it's a long process. I remember being so excited that I was 3 cm dilated at 35 weeks, so I e-mailed my aunt and told her. She then informed me that the same had happened to her, and she remained 3 cm dilated until she went into labor at 41 weeks. Of course, the same happened to me. Oh, and ultrasound techs are wrong all the time. Let me tell you! They day before he was born, they said Ryan was going to only be 5 pounds. Well, he turned out to be 6 pounds, 9 ounces! So I don't give ultrasound techs much merit. Glad to hear that Noah is doing well, and try to keep him in a little bit longer. He will have an easier start to life if he has more time to grow inside you!