Monday, August 3, 2009

score!

i did it-i ran a whole 5K over the weekend and actually did well. i set a lofty goal, about two minutes faster per mile than i have been running...and actually was within 15 seconds of attaining it! and-i got second place for my age! i was pretty siked about that...when i dropped my card in the basket and saw only one other in there, i knew the news was good...i began planning exactly where i was going to put my trophy-i couldn't decide between putting it right on the dashboard of my car-so everyone who saw me out would know that i'm a runner or putting it on the bookshelf in our house-so everyone who visited it would see it first thing! okay, not really... i was just seriously excited that my hard work had paid off a little-i had done well, no walking the whole time! not even up the monstrous hills! :) unfortunately, though, for the second placers (they really just consider us the "first losers" i guess), there was no trophy! instead i got a sweet little u of m pedometer so i can measure all my steps. pretty sweet-i've always wondered how many steps i take a day. i had a nice big mountain dew the evening after the race, to celebrate my success...i have been off sodas for a while, not because i know that's the healthy thing to do, but because my personal trainer (aka ryan) told me that drinking a soda totally cancels out any running you have done on a particular day. with all my hard work, i could have none of that! but, i will say, the mountain dew was absolutely wonderful! everything i had hoped...and more! ;) we are now training for a 10K...a little further than i'd ideally like to run, but the program is "couch to 10K", so i guess we better continue on! 



1 comments:

Jamie and Joy George said...

Sam, way to go!! I'm so proud of you. It such a good feeling isn't it??
It's SO hard to imagine that a year ago I was about to run my 1/2 marathon. Now, a 5K seems like forever to run. I need to get my butt of the couch and get movin' - you've motivated me!!
Way to go girly.