Wednesday, August 26, 2009

more snip-its

*i just burned nearly 500 calories running on the treadmill and hated every minute of it. i. can. not. stand. treadmills. supposedly, they make the running experience easier, but it wears me out. i decided today i was going to set up a laptop in front of me and watch abc.com to help the time pass by...so, i spent like 10 minutes trying to get it all set up right and on the perfect show (not too long, not too short), and then started running only to find out that the bounciness of the treadmill and the propped up laptop=terrible reception. unless i wanted to watch the show in half second increments (with like 30 seconds in between) then it was a no go... so, i tried to listen to some music on pandora via my phone...but, of course, i forgot to bring my headphones up and didn't want to pause the treadmill to try to find them. so, i ran with only my thoughts, which unfortunately i couldn't quite get past, "gee i hate this. this is no fun. gee i hate this. this is no fun." tomorrow, back to the open road for me!

*school is going really well. exceptionally well, actually. i have been impressed by the boys in my class, though i'm thinking they are still on just-started-school behavior. all the same, we have had a fun few days of learning together. i really think that's what i might like best about the environment i'm teaching in...i don't have to be the expert. we are learning together, which is wonderful! wednesdays are our chapel and picnic days, which makes them just enjoyable all the way around. i wish i could put into words the wonderful-ness of this precious school, but i don't quite have them yet. so, i'll wait until i do. i will tell a sweet story that i haven't even gotten around to even though it's been a week since it happened. we had a guest come speak in chapel who read the story of the Good Shepherd and talked about it with the children for a bit. at one point she asked the question, "what does it mean to "hope"?" a very young child answered, "it means to wish!" in a voice that implied, "what a silly question, lady. there is no question of what it means?!" i just am contemplating that thought...

*noah stayed with cece today...in fact, ryan is just now picking him up on his way home from work. as much as i love my boys (and i do...absolutely adore both of them!), having an afternoon to myself was nice. i took some clothes to try to consign and then came home and worked on my sewing machine for a while. i made these "go green" bags:
i'm always getting ideas of things to make from here and there...seeing things and thinking, "hey, i could totally make that!" sometimes i can, and others it turns out i can't...but i think things turned out cute. i actually have been using another one i made as a little tote-around-town bag and i'm loving it. i do plan to take one on my next little grocery outting. i always feel a little guilty about using so many plastic bags, so i can cut down by bringing one or two of my own! i'm thinking about trying to sell them, but not quite sure if they'd be a go just yet...

*on that note, i am hoping to start back my tie purses.. i absolutely love them and just haven't had the time or the space to make them.. but now, i do! :)

*i'm getting a little nervous about all the swine flu talk... not so much for me as for noah. our pediatrician talked to us about getting him vaccinated when he is 6 months, but i'm not sure how i feel about that. the vaccine is going to be so new...and he's such a little guy. on the other hand, it may be better than if he got the flu, which there seems to be somewhat of a chance of him getting. i'm not sure i'm ready to make decisions like this! can ryan and i really make such a choice?!? i certainly will be reading more on the subject...holler if you know of any good resources!

*noah is getting better at the cereal thing, and, consequently, the sleeping thing. for the past month or so, he has been getting up right around 3 am, then again at 6 or 7 only to stay up long enough for me to actually get good and awake before he falls back to sleep. but, the cereal might, just maybe, possibly be helping with that finally! the past few nights, we have put him to bed by 8 and he's slept until 5ish..and gone right back to bed after eating!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

a lot of thoughts all at once...
Glad to hear you love the school. I am proud of what you are doing.

Jamie and Joy George said...

1. I didn't know you got a job?? and are you teaching?? tell me more...

2. way to go on the running! I'm just now getting back into on a regular schedule. I typically go on my lunch break during work. Keep up the good work!!

3. I may pay you to make something cute for Breeson

4. I totally agree with you on the Swine Flu shot. I'm scared b/c it's so new, but then again it'd be horrible if he got it. I'm wondering...if I got the shot, would it indirectly/directly help immunize him as well?? That way, maybe I would get the brunt of the side effects if there were any. ?? just a thought...

Christina Kris said...

Th flu vaccine is not as new as you think. It is the same thing as the current treatment that treats the normal flu from what i have learned. They treat the Swine flu the same as normal flu.

Rachel Ratliff said...

I would recommend getting the h1n1 flu vaccine...that is if he doesn't get the h1n1 flu before the vaccine comes out! This type of flu is more detrimental to young adults (our age), teenagers, and children than the seasonal flu is. So far I have mostly seen really high fevers (104 to 105), vomiting, and chills with it. Ryan will be getting the vaccine, and I will too if we don't get the h1n1 flu before the vaccine comes out in October. We both always get the seasonal flu vaccine every year without fail...I've had the flu often enough to know I don't want it again! If nothing else, you should really think about getting it for yourself since you are around school children all day. You really don't want to bring that home to Noah. That's just my two cents!