Thursday, July 16, 2009

week 3

so i have been meaning all along to share about my experience with the new running program i am on. unfortunately, i have forgotten to actually do it until this point. we are currently in the middle of week 3 of the couch to 10K (in 10 weeks) running program. i didn't think that i was going to make it this far, and honestly, i'm pretty impressed with myself. i started out on the program for two reasons: a) exercise is helpful in losing weight, which i certainly have plenty to lose (thanks to noah! ;)) and b) ryan loves to run and i thought it'd be nice to do something with him that he enjoys. it has been working both ways, i have slowly continued to lose weight and have gotten to spend some quality time with ryan. unfortunately, noah is not a fan of his stroller at this point...so that doesn't always work out so well. thankfully, we have gracious family nearby who have taken care of him a few times, and the other times, well, we spend most of our time trying to keep his paci in! 

the program started me out running just about an 1/8th of a mile at a time..then walking it, then running, and so on for a mile. i couldn't breath, my legs ached and i was sure there was no way i'd make it...but i did. and now, today's goal is to run 2 miles at one time. that may not sound like a lot, but the last time i ran that much was my senior year of college (2 years ago-yikes!). it's funny, though, every time i don't think i'm going to make it, am encouraged to keep at it, and actually do what i didn't think i could...i feel very good about myself. it's a nice feeling to have pushed yourself hard...and to persevere.
anyway, a new update on the running program as we go... :) we are set to run a 5K together in just 2 short weeks! last time i ran this particular race was in college, and i wasn't in super shape... i let my dad talk me into running it and he took off and left me as soon as the race started. i came in next to last place, running across the line just after someone twice my grandmother's age. it was embarrassing... and i was exhausted! hopefully that won't happen this time..

2 comments:

Mae said...

You go girl!! One of Daniel & mine's FAVORITE things to do together is run!! That's y I'm still running at 33 weeks :)! I just can't quit!! Keep it up!!

Jamie and Joy George said...

Sam - you crack me up!! I can just picture you running in before the old lady!! :) I know you can do this - keep up the hard work. You've come so far.