Friday, May 22, 2009

a new sound

this whole having a baby and being a mommy has really changed my outlook on a few things, the idea of romance being one of those things. i've always been one who enjoys spending a little quality time with the ones i love and, of course, gifts (bring on the flowers and chocolates, baby!). these things speak love to me (gary chapman's five love languages, anyone?)...and they still do, but other things speak love to me now. for instance, changing noah's diaper. after being by myself for hours on end while ryan is working, it means the world for him to change diapers when he is home...because the truth is, we all know that no one actually enjoys changing diapers..it's just not a fun job! especially with a little boy who likes to pee (and sometimes poopie) everywhere as soon as the diaper comes off. it's risky business attempting such a task! 

another thing that spoke of major love to me happened when we were in the hospital. c-sections are rough on the body, as you can imagine. during my early recovery time, it was excruciating to even attempt to go to the bathroom. and my sweet husband was by my side every time i needed him. nothing says sexy like helping a grown woman go potty! 
other acts of love: doing the dishes (how does that sink fill up so quick?!)..taking the trash out (like three times a day with all the diapers we go through!)..helping fold the laundry (those little clothes, wash clothes, and blankets take years to  fold!) and one i didn't expect? watching ryan love our little noah. as he holds him close and talks to him, my heart just melts. knowing that the love of my life loves our little boy almost as much as i do speaks love pretty loudly. :) 
so even though the voice of romance sounds a little differently these days, don't get me wrong-i still like the flowers...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sooooo agree with you Sam. I remember when I had surgery, your dad was right there to help me go to the potty, helped me shower even. Today as I entered the bedroom I found all the laundry folded in neat little stacks (categorized). When you guys were little, watching him with you both made my heart go pitter pat. It is the small things isn't dearie?
I love you very much Samantha. I am happy that you and Ryan share that wonderful love.