Wednesday, January 7, 2009

why did no one tell me?!?

i was talking with a sweet friend over the weekend who happens to be expecting as well. we were sharing with each other our various aches and pains and she raised a great question-"why didn't anyone ever tell me about this?!" there are some things that are well known about pregnancy and childbirth, things that everyone talks about. but then, there are these pulls and tugs that happen within your body that feel very strange...who even knew? somedays, i feel like my ribs are going to explode because of all the stretching pressure! there are lots of other funny little things that happen to the body, but i'll join women of the past and not share those. no need to scare anyone away from the task at hand! ;) i will say, my friend and i were both saying we feel like big babies sometimes because we are constantly asking older, experienced women "is this normal?...what about this? is it normal?.... surely this cannot be normal?!" 

even so... i have no doubts that this whole pregnancy thing is TOTALLY worth it! i can't wait to meet little noah!! 

3 comments:

Rachel Ratliff said...

well, some things are just too hard to explain...you can't find the words for it. others are so weird that no one would believe you. and others, like you said, would scare people, so i have tried to keep those to myself because i remember how everyone always tried to tell me the scary stuff. being pregnant is indescribable...you have to experience it for yourself to understand all of the feelings and stuff! there are some things i never want to experience again (the 9 month long morning sickness), but i do wish i had gotten all those little movements on camera!

Jodi said...

I got lots of "downer" thoughts during my pregnancy w/ Samuel, and it wasn't terribly encouraging, so I definitely keep stuff to myself. I think pregnancy rocks and being a mommy is the best!

Anonymous said...

Mantha, all I can say is that I'm envious of this whole pregnancy thing. I know God had a purpose for not allowing me to carry a child, but the desire never fully goes away. You are such a beautiful mother to be. I know that you will be a fabulous mom to Noah. Love you