Thursday, July 10, 2008

i've figured out my calling!

i met today with a career assessment counselor to review a recent career assessment that i took (part of my first graduate course at denver seminary). i had a very enlightening time sharing where i've come from and where i feel i'm headed with this person. he asked thought-provoking questions and took notes as i shared my answers.. (side note: doesn't it always make you feel SO great when someone takes notes as you talk, it makes it seem like they are really listening and caring about what you are saying. of course, they could just be doodling or something!) anyway, after chatting a bit, he took time to review my scores with me and helped me to understand the data...then he took a few moments to gather his thoughts from what i had been saying. and, then, with all of the data compiled together, he showed me some good options for career paths that would be good for me based on my specific talents and strengths. and, very high on the list-a pastoral counselor!! which was just kind of funny to me... ryan and i had to call brother scott on our way home because we just knew he'd be SO proud! if that doesn't work out for me, there were other options, as well... some that were a little more helpful and feasible (not that i don't think women should be pastors, but i don't think this one should!!). based on my self-assessment and the counselors assessment, youth/child counseling looks like a really great fit for me...which is neat. i shared with him that sometimes i find myself questioning my own abilities to counsel, and it was helpful for me to see that it actually is a good fit with who i am... and to hear him kind of confirm those things was very helpful and encouraging.

a few other interesting things that ended up fairly high on my list (like somewhere in the top 20):
1. landscaping/gardening duties
2. precision detailing duties(i.e. manuel, handtool or handcraft precision detail work--dad, you should be proud!!)
3. inspecting duties
4. tree and ground cover duties
"man, i've got to get me some new duties!!!"
unfortunately, we had to cross these (and a few others) out because they just don't quite fit with me. it seems the fact that i like to work with my hands kicked back some pretty strange jobs..
overall, though, the assessment was super helpful... more of a confirmation of a direction i'm already heading in-working in a helping profession of some sort. we'll see what that looks like in a few years!!

until next time...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's really cool that you were able to have some career assessment done. I really need to look into that myself.

I know I don't know you as well as I'd like to but I do think after reading what you write here that you'll make a great counselor.

Joel said...

A career assessment counseling session sounds like a great thing to do.

That's great that you've received affirmation of a specific path that you feel like could work well.

Maybe you shouldn't have let Ryan know about the 'yardwork' type skills... now you might be called upon to do those in the future. Just kidding.

Anonymous said...

That was a good thing for you to do. Midge, my sister, did that when she went back to school.
My thougths with the pastoral counseling could mean that you would be a good counselor for pastors - not necessarily you a pastor. I know that the assessment means the latter, but you could help pastors in need. I could see that. I do see you working with children. I do believe that is your calling.
thanks for sharing :-)
Love ya lots

Gladys said...

Have I told you guys today how much I love you and how proud I am of you both?? Isn't it cool that the first class you could take was one that turned out to be so helpful? God must like you a lot. :)

PS. Our backyard yard could use some of your skills. Any ideas to make it beautiful in a quick and easy way? :)